OUR LIFE, OUR LOVE, OUR FAMILY, OUR WORLD

Today's moments are tomorrow's memories...

Monday, February 16, 2009

SPEECHLESS...

I had an AMAZING priviledge of observing two heart procedures at the University of Minnesota Hospital today. I am speechless! The experience and knowledge that I gained today will forever be etched in my brain....

I recently accepted a new postion at our Fairview Blaine Clinic in January 2009. I am honored to be working along side 2 very brillant cardiologists from the U of M. Each cardiologist has a sub-specialty training in cardiology and visit our Blaine location on Wednesday mornings and Thursday afternoons for heart consultations. I have had the benefit of "sitting in" on numerous
heart consults, and learning right along with the patient. I have learned so much in the past month regarding cardiology, that my brain aches! I recently was asked by Dr. Sakaguchi to join him at the University of Minnesota to observe a Cardiac Electrophysiology Study (an EP Study evaluates abnormal heart rhythms with the use of temporary pacemaker wires to induce and record abnormal heart rhythms) on one of our patients. The study took about 6 hours to complete, and the patient will stay overnight for observation. I was able to be with the patient during surgery prep, and scrub in for the procedure. It is astonishing how these little wires are placed through the femoral vein in the groin and guided up to the heart via fluoroscopy (x-ray). It is unbelievable how technology has come along in aiding the medical field. I also was able to view a patient having his defibrillator tested. As the patient was under general anesthesia, and the doctor yelled "clear" to shock him, I felt like I was on set of the show ER. Wow....what a sight! I am looking forward to my continued learning education in cardiology, and observing more cardiac procedures in the future.
FARVIEW UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS

Scott Sakaguchi, M.D.

Electrophysiology Cardiology

(we refer to him as the "electrical" heart doctor)



Demetris Yannopoulos, M.D.

Interventional Cardiology

(we refer to him as the "plumbing" heart doctor)

0 comments: